Thursday, January 31, 2013

A lesson learned...

I have been having a big urge to sew something since late last night. I was browsing different methods of quilting and decided that it looked fun. So, this afternoon I dug the bin out that now holds my needlework supplies (I know, a bin that isn't full of yarn?) and discovered that I had cut out a teddy bear to make.

Now, I already have two bears made with this pattern. My mom made one for me when I was really little out of the same fabric she used to make my nightgown. The second one I was trying to make on my own, but my mom took over the difficult parts and ended up sewing together almost the whole bear. This time I decided that I was going to do the whole thing myself and that I was going to hand sew it because I like hand sewing and I want to learn how to do it better. The only way to do that is to practice, right?

The whole thing was going well. I already had one ear sewn together and it actually held together while I was turning it right-side out (unlike my first potholder). I took a picture to show my more consistent if loose stitching when I saw it. The mistake.

Can you tell?

I'll give you a hint: the faded flower fabric showing is the wrong side of the fabric. I was supposed to be sewing it to the right side of the fabric so that it would be facing the right way when I turned it inside out.

Now I have to figure out where mom keeps her pair of seam rippers because I don't have a set myself. My lesson? Double check what way your fabric is facing before you start sewing! Triple check even in my case. At least you can try again when you are just stitching. It is only a little bit difficult to undo.

No comments:

Post a Comment