Friday, October 5, 2012

Culinary Temper-tantrum

Have you ever had one of those weeks where there is just nothing good in the house to eat? I have been living that nightmare for the past two weeks now. We had food in the house, but none of it was appealing. Everyone in the house would walk in during dinner time, look into the fridge, sigh, and leave without eating anything. Nobody wanted to try to figure out what to cook and that caused us to eat out or just nibble on whatever we could find.

While I do enjoy the occasional Big Mac, I got frustrated feeling like there was just nothing to eat. So, I did the only logical thing that I could think of. Have a temper-tantrum.

Instead of jumping up and down or yelling at my parents that they weren't cooking anything good, I decided to fix something that would appeal to me. After all, I am old enough that I have free range of all of the "dangerous" kitchen appliances. I found one serving of pasta hidden in the cabinet and decided that would go good with a sauce and some onions.

 I prepared the pasta according to the directions on the packet and chopped up an onion. Then I cooked the onions in a small pot with some butter until they were nice and tender. When the pasta was done, I drained it. Then I threw the pasta in with the onion and added another dab of butter, about 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, and two tablespoons almond milk. Since I didn't rinse the pasta, the starch from the pasta mixed with the cheese, onion, butter, and almond milk to make a nice Alfredo sauce type coating.

It tasted fantastic!

This would be a really nice meal to make for my family on a larger scale. It is quick and easy, but I would make a few minor changes. I would pick up a can of white kidney beans, drain them, and throw them in when I put the pasta in with the onion. I would lay off the extra butter since I cooked the onions in butter. And I would take the extra time to caramelize the onions. Fix that and put it on a table with a salad and you can convince your family that you do know how to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment