Monday, October 8, 2012

A Closer Look at Sweet Lolita

Picture from lolitafashion.org
"Fashion is interpretative. Fashion is based on a concept, which each individual forms and interprets into something visual." -Victoria Suzanne, Parfait Doll

As much as I love classic lolita, I also have a strong draw to sweet lolita. Sweet lolita is a very distinctive style. It stands out among the other lolita styles simply because it is so sugary sweet. If anything can be decked out with pastels and covered in cupcakes, teddy bears, and kittens, then by the stars somebody out there will do it.

Sweet lolita is also one of the only lolita styles I have seen to be pushed into the over-the-top category. This is where the lolita pushes everything to the extreme. Petticoats get bloomed up to make wide cupcake skirts. Circle lenses and extreme eye makeup gets applied to make them look even more doll-like in appearance. Big curly wigs come out that might or might not be pastel colored themselves to get covered with bows and frills. The dresses get covered in busy cute prints. In my opinion, it is one of the boldest styles to wear because you have to be confident to go out looking like a giant pink cupcake.

I also really like Sweet lolita because it looks so innocent. This is the style that really hearkens back to childhood for me. In fact, if my mother had made me wear petticoats, it would be really similar to what I liked to wear before frills became too "girly" for  me.

What people should know about sweet lolita is that it is not just about looking like a cupcake and it is not just looking like a pink cupcake. Sweet lolita comes in all shades of colors. The signature color for sweet lolita seems to be pink, but it looks just as lovely in shades of pastel blue, butter yellow, lavender, and if you are lucky minty green.If you go back further in history and look at shops like Baby, the Stars Shine Bright (BTSSB) you will even see that bright reds and darker shades can even be classified as Sweet lolita. The border prints a la Angelic Pretty are very popular, but Sweet lolita can also be well done if it is done in a solid color or an all over print as well.

I really like sweet lolita. I think the style is adorable and it is one of the ones I can see myself wearing because it would make me feel pretty. It is not the only style I see myself wearing, but it is one of the ones that has charmed its way into my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment