Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Spinning!

Taken with Instagram
“I know that spinning sets me in a trance; it soothes me and charges my batteries at the same time. When times are tough I sit down to spin during the news-broadcasts, with therapeutic results.”
Elizabeth Zimmermann, Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac

I first started to get interested in spinning when I got interested in knitting socks. I have been trying to get enough yarn spun so that I could finally have a pair of handspun socks. First the yarn was too thick. Then the yarn was perfect, but I just didn't have enough of it to make a pair of socks without a coordinating color. So, I am trying again.

I am spinning up the rest of the KnitPicker Corriedale fiber in the Buckleberry colorway. I love how this yarn is turning out to be. It is mostly blue with shots of purple in the single. I am planning on spinning it all up and then N-plying the single. The fiber in the picture is only half of the remaining fiber left. I just split it up into smaller and more manageable bundles before I started to spin it.

I was so focused on trying to make it into the perfect sock yarn that I put it down for a long time. I had to admit to myself that I wouldn't spin if I was so focused on the end product that it would suck the joy of spinning out for me. Spinning is soothing and magical in how it works. It shouldn't be something that I obsess over. I have enough things to worry about in my life. Spinning is relaxing and it should be fun to do too. So I am now spinning it up as my default weight which will end up being a good three-ply sock yarn anyway.

2 comments:

  1. OK, that looks so yummy! I hear you about spinning. Very soothing in it's motion, but stressful if you're needing it to cast on for a specific project you are anxious to start. LOVE your blog, by the way! Mori girl fashion is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I can relate to it being stressful. I had spun up some yarn for a tarot bag and ran out mid-bag. Luckily, I had enough to spin up more.

      Delete