Monday, August 6, 2012

From Rags to Frills

Drawing by the talented AmaneMiss on deviantArt
"Shedding my disguise of being normal for the princess I am is priceless. The world has enough ordinary people. Why waste my life trying to be mediocre and average as well? I refuse to be common. I refuse to assimilate." -Lady Kristen, Princessly Living

I am not fashionable. I have never understood high fashion or why every one of my classmates were obsessed with the latest styles on Seventeen or Vogue when I was in high school. My "style" consisted of jeans (that may or may not have had holes in them), oversized t-shirts, and a pair of sneakers. When I got older, that expanded to several pairs of different earrings and a little bit of eyeshadow if I was lucky.

 I have been looking at lolita fashion for long enough that I know that it is not a phase that I am going through. I would truly like to start wearing it because I like the style. But, I wasn't sure why I still liked the style. Compared to all of my other friends, it is more frilly than anything else I have seen. Being a full-fledged gamer tomboy when I was younger, this fact both amused me and made me wonder why there was such a shift. I used to complain when there was even a little ruffle or piece of lace on my clothing. Now, I'm flocking to a fashion that is covered in ruffles, lace, bows, ribbons, and even sweets (in the case of sweet lolita).

I sat down for a while to think about it. I have always been overweight. I have never really felt pretty. I have always wished I had the confidence of some of my favorite television heroines like Wonder Woman, Sailor Moon, and Piper from Charmed.

Then it hit me.

Ever since I started to get interested in this fashion, I could imagine myself wearing it and I felt pretty. When I felt pretty, I felt more confident and kick ass. Who cares if the fashion was different? I could bring in different styles and make it truly my own. Having an off day? How about a fun skirt with no petticoat and a favorite blouse? Need to be more professional? How about a more simple skirt with a blouse and a hand-knit sweater vest over it and business shoes with a strand of natural pearls? Want to go over-the-top? Break out all of the crazy candy colored accessories and have a blast!

For once, I feel like I can finally wear something that will make me look good and make me feel like a princess while wearing it. For once, I feel beautiful and I don't even wear it yet.

1 comment: